Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Not so big news....

So I thought I would try keeping some "news" to myself, but it seems difficult to do that. (Which makes me wonder if I try to garner sympathy too much...)

Anyway.

I went to see a family practitioner a couple of weeks ago. Showed him a slowly growing 'thing' on my forehead. His diagnosis, without a biopsy mind you, was basil cell carcinoma. Basil cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer. A fairly benign type, but still... The doctors words were, "If I were to have a type of skin cancer, this would be it."

If he does that to many more patients, he really needs to stop. Far too relative a statement to be very encouraging. I'm assuming it lies somewhere between, "If I were to stub my toe, that would be the toe I would stub." or "If I could pick which bus to get hit by, that would be the one."

So he sent me to a specialist, due to the fact it's on my face. Saw him today. A local cosmetic surgeon. Funny guy. Tie-died smock. Crazy hair. 20 year old glasses. Called me "brother" at least 10 times. He agreed with the first doctor. Didn't hesitate at all to say it was basil cell carcinoma.

The weird thing is that he also talked to me into removing the 2 small moles on my forehead. (In addition to the cancer.) He said it was like 5 bucks a mole. For some stupid reason, I wasn't sure I wanted to.

"Why didn't anyone tell me my forehead was so big!"

Jeez. I should just shave my head. Stupid hair loss.

That larger pink spot is the cancer. Looks a lot bigger in this picture than in my mirror. Weird. It has grown. It's probably 35% larger than when I first noticed it a year ago. Seemed like it stopped growing for most of that year, but just in the last couple of weeks it's reached that 35% mark.

But about the moles. There's that little one above the cancer and an almost matching one on the other side. (Couldn't get a picture with all 3 in it.) The other one is about a half inch lower. It's weird that I hesitated to have them removed. Those things have been part of my manlyish good looks for a long time. They can develop into problems later, so they're coming off too.

So there's my big secret. No one in my RL (besides the doctors) know about it. Still planning on not telling my parents (or anyone in RL for that matter.) If my parents find out, might as well tell Brian Williams on a slow news day. I don't really want that kind of attention.


Kudos to whomever gets the photo caption reference.

9 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting yourself checked out. Having that spot removed and regular checks will do the trick.
    And I have to thank you for posting. I have fair, freckled skin that has taken plenty of abuse and I really do need to get in and have someone look me over entirely. So, thank you, sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I am sorry to hear that. I know they are trying to make it sound less scary, but I agree with you. Its not exactly anything you want to hear.
    As for hesitation on the mole removal, well I can understand that too. Its a part of you. A familiar fact on your body. In the end you will still be you, but how strange to have such things go away when they have been there so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that, Ken!!

    The beauty of medical school: I turned to my friend sitting to the right of me and asked "what do you think of basil cell carcinoma?". The answer? "Totally treatable, best kind of cancer to get". I giggled because that's exactly what you're doc said.

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. laura b - The 2nd doctor checked my back and chest too. Didn't find anything else that looked like cancer.

    silly rabbit - Yeah, I've pretty much gotten over the mole thing. Now I'm looking for other moles he could take off.

    Nikki - Thanks for the hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that, Ken!
    We all are always here to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expect I may end up in the same boat, since I have a similarly large forehead and My Dad had a basil cell carcinoma removed from his large forehead later on in his life.

    I can somewhat picture the movie or whatever the line was from, but not totally. It will bother me until I think of where it was from.

    Keep us updated now, OK? It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait a minute. Was it a Mel Brook's movie? That's about as far as I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basal cell carcinoma caught early is so treatable, but not fun. Good to treat it aggressively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basal cell carcinoma is not that dangerous and is curable so it is not that serious.

      Skin Cancer Treatment

      Delete