I really hope to get some of my debt taken care of so I can take my girls to places like this in the next couple of years. I have family in the Galatin Valley area in Montana which is about 8 hours south of Glacier National Park. My parents tell me I've been there before but apparently I was too young to remember it. Which means I could have been there anytime from birth to about 8 years old...
Another place I hope to go back to soon...one that I remember...is Monterey, CA. And make sure we're there on farmer's market night. There's a guy that sells a basket full of very fresh fried calamari for something like $3 with a good tartar sauce.

Image 'borrowed' from here.
Then there's the Monterey Bay Aquarium which my girls have to go to sometime before they're 10. You can check out some grainy webcams. At one point they had a truly awesome exhibit of deep water jellyfish that all had some sort of bioluminescent pattern on them. And a lot of them had a moving 'light show'. It really was very cool to see but I don't think they have that exhibit any more. That's one of those things that I don't think I'll ever forget and am so glad I got to see.
Here is a picture of the Lone Cyprus tree on the Monetery Peninsula. You can see the stone wall they built around the roots to keep it from falling.

A few times during my adolescence, my parents rented a house in Cayucos, which is about 3 hours south of Monterey. One time we had a house right on the beach, which was awesome, and the other times were in houses up on the hill overlooking the ocean.
Now that we're 1,300 miles inland it's a little pricier to make the trip than the 2 hour drive I was used to. But it certainly makes you appreciate it more.
As my children were growing up, we never, ever could get ahead and they have few vacations to remember. I hope that there were enough other good memories to make up for it, but your post really made me think.
ReplyDeleteAnd Monterey is beautiful. I am only about 350 miles south of there yet it is sort of a whole 'nother world, really.
I love Monterey! More than anywhere else on that wonderful and much missed coast.
ReplyDeleteAs for debt... I know about that too and the desire to take my kids places that I could not yet afford. You will get there my friend. If God wills it, there will be water.