Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ramblings...and a NEW TOY!

- I'd forget my head if it weren't bolted on.
- I'd forget my glasses if they weren't setting on my nose.
- I'd forget my nuts if I didn't carry them around in a sack.
- I'd forget my kids birthdays if they weren't programmed into my phone.
- I'd forget.....what was it again?


- My new assistant is no longer assisting. The almost complete inability to function under any sort of pressure is remarkable. Even the slightest amount of nervous tension would really frustrate her. She would try and work through it, but her communication became very confused and confusing. I even told her that if I didn't know something about what she was trying to explain, I would be completely lost. She was assigned the simple task of hunting down a purchase order number, which does involve some problem solving, and she actually resented having been assigned that task. Reminds me of my ex...

So here we are again. Looking for a new assistant. My fourth in almost four years. The first was a thief. The temp after her was great. The next permanent hire was very nice. Too nice. Her voice was so soft no one could hear her over the phone. I then hired the temp back permanently. I wish she was still here, but she moved 1,700 miles away. And the last was the lady who left today. When I told her it was her last day, she even said that she had planned on resigning. Not sure if I believe that or not, but whatever.

- So I took Silly Rabbits advice and started exercising again. Even signed up at a gym. First time in a gym since 2000. They have TV's built right into the equipment now. (Do I look like a dork when I laugh out loud at a Seinfeld episode that no one else can hear?)

- Maybe I'll finally get a smokin' hot assistant...

- The job posting was put up this afternoon. One young lady brought in her application about 10 minutes after the previous assistant left. She didn't quite grasp the fact that maybe the guy messing with the paperwork on the reception desk was the guy she needed to impress. I asked her a few questions and she seemed kind of eager to leave. Not like I was scaring her away, but like she had somewhere better to be.

- They need to make me the companies Director of Production Operations. Yeah, that's it...

- Found a couple books that are interesting enough to keep reading. One is a good 'ol Clive Cussler novel. Can't go wrong with Clive. Even his novels with 'guest' authors are good.

- I'm seriously considering purchasing the Kindle. I have piles of paperback books that need to not grow. The last book in a Song of Ice and Fire series is out. Dance with Dragons. eBooks are even cheaper than hardcovers.

Aw heck. Where's my debit card?

I looked at both the Kindle and the Nook. The biggest benefit to the Nook is the free classic books. But the Kindle has free 3G, (if you're willing to put up with a little ad on the menu screen to save $50) which doesn't require a wi-fi connection to download.

- Clickity! Order has been placed. It'll be here Tuesday. Yay!

- Didn't even have to get off my chair. You make it far too easy Amazon...

5 comments:

  1. I have wanted an ebook for a long time, but never quite get around to it. Good for you for treating yourself! Saving on space and the dust is a huge plus. As for the exercise... woot! Do we get to see pics when you get hot? =;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. silly rabbit - It's shipped already! When I get hot...not sure that'll ever happen, but if it does, it'll be all over this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded an ereader app onto my iPad - I was planning to order a book today to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your next assistant works out. Are you sure a hot assistant is a good idea? haha! (How can I even ask?)
    I think what I want, ideally, is what Secret has...and ereader app for an iPad...will someone buy me an iPad? kthx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. secret agent - How do you like your iPad? Besides the price, they look pretty cool.

    laura b. - A hot assistant is a great idea...if she's a great assistant. No amount of hotness is worth the headache I just got rid of.

    ReplyDelete