Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Can you guess what it is?

You all thought I was joking about using that profile pic on a dating website, didn't ya? Yeah, it went up on a dating site. Along with some others, but still...

What about this one?

No, this is not how I really smile.

This whole dating website thing is highly amusing. I put my name out there on one, just to see, but that particular site was quite cumbersome to use. I haven't deleted my profile yet, but I haven't been back there either. So I went to another site. A much more popular site...or so it says. Their site is more user friendly, from a navigation standpoint anyway.

No way am I ready to start paying for stuff like that though. I actually haven't done any searches, just looked through the profiles they emailed to me. That's where it starts though, huh?

The profile picture is a very interesting concept. What makes a good profile picture? What kind of profile picture is most attractive? Is it just me or are 'self-shots' not attractive? Like there is no one else around willing to take their picture. And they all try to come across as sexier than they really are. Why do they always hold it over their head? It makes them look short.

(For the record ladies, Double D's do not make for an 'average' body type.)

The whole idea of dating is still...unattractive, for lack of a better word. It's not that I want to find an exclusive partner, but I do want friends.

Not sure what about 'making friends' has eluded me. It's been a little difficult since I became single again. My ex has a tendency to alienate her friends. When I was married to her, I was dragged along for the ride. Not to blame her entirely though. I've never had very many friends or even very close friends. Don't ask me why. I just don't know. Maybe I'm just self-absorbed.

Don't get me wrong. I do have friends and I do socialize. In fact, you're all invited to a poker night this Friday at my place. Or you could meet me and a group of friends for Wing Wednesday today. (Mmmm...wings) But I do very little in the evenings and nothing on a regular basis.

Alright...just stop it. This is turning into the same old 'I got no friends' rant that you've read before.

Did anyone else ever read that kids magazine...I think it was called 'Highlights'. One of the last pages had the "Can you guess what it is?" photos. Here's my "CYGWII" photo. Pretty easy.

If you had to look at the comments to find out, you lose!

That was taken by E, my youngest. I really enjoy looking through the pics after they've had the camera for a while.

We're off to eat some wings. You'd better hurry if you're going to make it. Mind the foot of snow we got last night. (pics to come)

I think I might just make that CYGWII thing a regular feature.

6 comments:

  1. Just looking at that pic makes my mouth water for Red Vines! Mmmmm... That's a great pic by your little E.

    Dating websites are funny places and you do have to take it all with a grain of salt and a good sense of humor, which I think you have.

    They actually suggest that you try to make your photos look sexy. One of them cautioned older females to not wear turtle necks... that men their age still want to see a hint of boobs. What I wanted to see was personality showing through. Sex is wonderful, but it doesn't make for a good relationship by itself. There has to be something there for a common ground in everyday life.
    I liked pics of men with their families and friends. Not the portrait type, but the kind where people are gathered together having a good time. That tells me more than a more formal shot. But that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Photo! I meant the red one. :-) I thought at first was yarn, but I guess licorice?
    I love love love this comment: (For the record ladies, Double D's do not make for an 'average' body type.) So true. And I do like your photos. Goofy is good. As for making friends, go out and do something around other people... find a hiking club or somesuch thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rabbit - You got it! I can understand the whole sexy thing, if you're looking for a mate, but I guess my lack of desire for that colors my goggles, so to speak.

    NoRegrets - Awww...you don't like my squinty eyed look? =) I have actually signed on with a hiking group through Meetup.com. My first meet was supposed to be this Sunday, but if the snow isn't gone, I might not go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously think a lot of women appreciate a guy with a sense of humor and an actual personality...not just a mannequin.
    I never did a pay service dating site, but I did meet some cool people at free sites. No love connections, but made some friends I'm still in touch with...which sounds like what you are looking for - friends. So I recommend you keep on doing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly won't speak for what women find attractive, but I appreciate a woman with a sense of humor more than I do a brainless person with a great face or body. I'd say put up a photo with some humor to it (as you've shown here and there) and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very easy - red licorice.

    I think people look for friendly more than anything. I respond to warm smiles, for instance. When a dating profile I had several photos but none overtly sexy. Definitely no cleavage shots. I wasn't looking for hook-ups and if all I wanted was sex, I wouldn't need a dating site to get it.

    You know, you do have to weed through a lot of silliness on dating sites, but I can't say I regret having tried that - I sure met some interesting people.

    ReplyDelete