Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! and some mental relief (for me anyway)

What a weird time it's been. This company sale has been a very hot topic. Of course. The speculation is rampant. As are the questions. I don't know how many times I've said, "I don't know" over the last week. The new president will be back on Tuesday and will hopefully answer some questions. Well, a lot of questions.

I'm kinda nervous.

Our current hierarchy is set up in such a way that the design manager, lead salesman, and myself are peers. The salesman reports to the sales manager, so maybe not quite a peer, as the design manager and myself report to the president. If the new president keeps it the same, all of us would report directly to him as there is no sales manager for the new company. All the other locations have a general manager who is the only one who reports to him. It's likely that he'll appoint a general manager for our plant too.

It might be me. Maybe. I'm not assuming anything.

As far as qualifications go, I suppose I'm the more likely candidate. While I don't have any direct sales experience, I was a designer for 5 years and have been a production manager for 5 years too. As a designer, I worked directly with a salesman and had a lot of direct customer contact. We even participated in a sales commission pool. Not to mention the bachelors degree in manufacturing management.

I asked my soon-to-be-former boss for a letter of recommendation and he asked me if it would be for this new company or someone else. It's for this new company and I'll be treating this week as one long job interview. I even sent the new president a LinkedIn invitation. I'd like to think my profile is a nice one, with 4 letters of recommendation.

The more I think about it, the more I want this job. It's an immediate step up and may be the only one for a while. 5 years maybe? Ha! Maybe it'll even come with a pay raise. That probably depends on how much money we'll have to funnel to the corporate office. Just hoping it's not too much more than what we've been sending to our old owners.

Sorry I haven't been meandering through the blog world lately. My brain can only take so much input sometimes. I did read everyone's comments on the last post and I greatly appreciate them all. Thank you.

I'm excited to see what the week brings. Happy New Year everyone! May it be a better year for all of us.


6 comments:

  1. hear hear! hopefully your linkedin photo is better than you dating site photo. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new year is off to an exciting start! Best of luck getting the position you want. Don't worry about blog world... we all come and go for whatever reasons. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new year is off to an exciting start! Best of luck getting the position you want. Don't worry about blog world... we all come and go for whatever reasons. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound as though you are more than qualified to receive a step up. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
    Happy 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete