Monday, August 9, 2010

Pop Culture movie bucket list

Over at SeasonedGamers.com, one of the members there, ikkins, keeps getting harassed about the lack of pop-culture education she has. She decided to do something about it and asked the forum readers what movies she should watch in order to get caught up.

So far she’s at 135 suggested movies. Her plan is to do one a week, but she might have to ramp it up or else it's going to take a couple of years to get it done.

I took her list and crossed off the movies I’ve seen before. I end up with 66 not-seen ‘classics’. I also took the liberty of adding all the Bond films and crossing off the ones I’ve seen. I’m a fan of the Bond series but have yet to see them all. Up to 76.

There are probably a few on the ‘not-seen’ list that I have seen, just don’t remember. I’m highly suspicious that I’ve seen 12 Monkeys, Aliens, & a couple others, but won’t know until I start watching them again.

ikkins is posting reviews of the movies as she sees them over at her blog, To Walk in My Shoes. I’m not sure I can come up with anything clever to say for a movie review, but I’ll try to do that too.

Here’s the list! I sorted it by ‘seen’ and ‘not-seen’, then alphabetically.

12 Monkeys
A View to Kill
Akira
Aliens
American History X
Animal House
Best in Show
Better Off Dead
Blade Runner
Boondock Saints
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Casino
Chasing Amy
Child's Play
Christine
Clerks
Dazed and Confused
Deliverance
Diamonds are Forever
Dirty Harry
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Evil Dead: The Army of Darkness
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Fight Club
From Russia with Love
Heat
Heathers
Highlander
Jaws
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Johnny Dangerously
License to Kill
Life as a House
Lost in Translation
Mallrats
Momento
My Blue Heaven
My Neighboor Totoro
No Country for Old Men
Octopussy
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
One Crazy Summer
Pale Rider
Platoon
Primer
Pulp Fiction
Raw Deal
Real Genius
Reservoir Dogs
Say Anything
Scarface
Sixteen Candles
Stripes
The 6th Day
The Big Lebowski
The Godfather
The Living Daylights
The Monster Squad
The Natural
The Professional
The Running Man
The Spy who Loved Me
The Usual Suspects
The Virgin Suicides
The Warriors
Thunderball
True Romance
Unforgiven
Untouchables*
Up In Smoke
You Only Live Twice
Young Guns I
Young Guns II
A League Of Their Own
Airforce One
Airplane!
Beverly Hills Cop I&II
Big Trouble in Little China
Blazing Saddles
Bull Durham*
Caddyshack
Casino Royale
Cliffhanger
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Commando
Con Air
Demolition Man
Die Another Day
Die Hard 1 & 2
Down Periscope
Dr. No
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Field of Dreams*
Fletch
Fletch Lives
Flight of the navigator
For Your Eyes Only
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II
Glory
GoldenEye
GoldFinger
Gremlins
Hot Shots
Jurassic Park II
Jurassic Park: The Lost World
Lethal Weapon I
Lethal Weapon II
Live and Let Die
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Moonraker
National Lampoon's Vacation
Never Say Never Again
Office Space
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Police Acadamy
Porkys
Predator
Quantam of Solace
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rambo: First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Red Dawn
Robo Cop
Romancing the Stone
Short Circuit
Spaceballs
Spies Like Us
Stand By Me
Star Wars: A New Hope
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Terminator: Salvation
The Breakfast Club
The Fugitive
The Golden Child
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
The Goonies
The Great Outdoors
The Jerk
The Karate Kid
The Man with the Golden Gun
The Naked Gun
The Terminator
The Three Amigos
The World is not Enough
Tomorrow Never Dies
Top Gun
Top Secret
Uncle Buck
Weird Science
What about Bob
Young Frankenstein

5 comments:

  1. That is a monster list! It is certainly very well rounded :-) Of course I had to count and I believe I've seen 93 of how many ever are listed. Yay me? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to post this list and see how many I've watched. There were a few movies I started to watch, but never finished. You should certainly see "The Usual Suspects", but I'm pleased to see that you've seen "Young Frankenstein".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because a movie is popular, doesn't mean it's worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya!!! Ikkins here :)

    I totally didn't see this! So glad that you're doing this too, I have company in my uneducated pop culture boat. But don't worry, I'll be jumping ship eventually :D

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Update on the pop culture, will ya???? ;)

    ReplyDelete