I did a bunch of research online, looking at new computers. While I have some parts that I could have used to try and build my own machine, I chickened out. Newegg and Tigerdirect have these upgrade kits that include all the parts I would need, but you have to assemble (the easy part) and install all the software, including the OS, yourself (the hard part.) Yeah, there are a lot of resources out there, but they all assume you know something about something. Of which I know nothing.
So after all the research, I wanted to get an Acer. Seemed like they had the speed/size that I wanted, without as much cost. Newegg had a refurbished unit for $309.99. After Googling a little more, I found my Walmart had the same machine, brand new, for $389.99. And since I'm an impatient bastard, to Walmart I went. I'm not a PC gamer, so the 4GB of RAM and the 1TB of HDD space should satisfy me for a while. A terabyte. 1000 gigabytes. Sheesh.
The girlies are already having fun with the webcam. They love watching themselves on the TV.
Gotta do something about the video & sound though. There are a couple of PCI slots available. Time to shop for a HDMI and surround sound card.
Windows 7 looks nice and clean. Still acts like Windows though. Haven't found anything groundbreakingly awesome yet. Except maybe the speed. It is very very quick. If it's anything like my past new machines, it'll slow down sooner or later, but this thing has more RAM than my last desktop had hard drive space. (There was a laptop in the mix that had a decent amount of space, but I just paid a guy $42 to tell me it was dead.)
Now that I have a new machine, I vow, with an oath written in blood, to keep my photos organized. Like this one, for example:
Since I can fiddle with Grooveshark again, please enjoy one of my current favorite songs:
I've had Acers and Dells. My next laptop, I hope, will be a MacBook. But not as long as this Dell keeps chugging along.
ReplyDeleteI have an old Dell PC that is hanging in there. I would like a laptop, but only if I get one as a gift :) haha! So, better hope this Dell keeps truckin'. Glad you found something you like!
ReplyDeleteMy son the computer whiz loves both Newegg and Tigerdirect. Much of my Hal 9000 came from those two places. I did not dare attempt to build Hal... that was the whiz's job. But that was a few years back and its all "old" now.
ReplyDeleteI want a new computer! I'm happy for you that you got your new toy.
As for your girlies... what fun! Kids love to make videos, dance and sing. Puppet shows! You could even do a holiday carol to send as a Christmas card staring your beauties. I think that is great.
secret agent - I know a few Mac fans, but not having flash without jailbreaking seems like a pain to me.
ReplyDeletelaura b - Computers last a long time now, especially if you can keep the bugs out.
rabbit - I don't think technological advances have slowed much, but this cheap machine is more than I need. I expect it to last me a long time. The Christmas card thing is a good idea! Thanks!
Dear Santa,
ReplyDeleteI would like a new laptop for Christmas.
Signed,
I've been (mostly) good this year.
Be glad it didn't come with Vista. [shudder]
ReplyDelete