Just a bit of geekdom candy here:
Even if you don’t play video games, the artistry involved in creating something like this is certainly something to be appreciated.
So about that question. Would I recommend marriage to a friend?
Right now?
No.
Of course this is an incredibly biased response so I guess I should qualify it.
I believe the marriage and parent/child relationships are as close as we can get to relationship with God, at least in the physical sense. In other words, the absolutely unselfishness that can be had in a marriage or parent/child relationship are as close as we can get in this world to what we’ll have when we meet God face to face.
On the other hand, there really is no comparison, in that sense.
What the marriage relationship also gives us is an unprecedented opportunity for fulfilling what God wants us to do for each other, while we’re here. I’ve failed in that. I know that for a fact. I also know that marriage is a 2-way road. There is absolutely no way a marriage can be successful if both people don’t approach it with an unselfish attitude. I’m sure there are a lot of marriages out there that don’t work that way, but in my humble opinion, those aren’t successful marriages…at least in the sense that God intended. I’ve met more than a few guys who have the attitude, “she does her thing, I do mine, and we don’t get in each others way too much.”
So if a friend asked me if he should marry his long-time girlfriend, I would say these things to him, without committing to a “yes” or “no”. I would also mention that some people change once the ring is on their finger. And some people are trying so hard to ‘land a mate’ that they’re not honest with who they really are during courtship. I think that happens a lot more than not.
Then there’s the people that are brutally honest about who they are that they scare away anyone that they might actually be willing to change for.
I guess I wouldn’t say much of anything. Just give some heartfelt advice and pray. I had the opportunity to talk with a cousin of mine who was recently engaged at the time. I took the chance to give him the ‘one piece of advice’. Don’t get into debt. In my experience, money is the one thing that contributed to the demise of my marriage that I could have easily handled differently. Pick the ‘low-hanging fruit’ first, so to speak.
On to a different topic: This week is the city’s annual party. Cheyenne Frontier Days. Anyone who doesn’t have kids and has lived here for more than a few years just ignores it and stays away from that side of town. But I have kids, so I took them to some of the events yesterday. Saw some Native American Indian dancing which was very cool. Crazy outfits. Besides the concerts, rodeo, and carnival (all of which cost money) there isn’t a whole lot to do so we only stayed for a couple of hours. The girlies mom took them to the carnival last Friday. I plan on taking them to the free pancake breakfast tomorrow, the parade on Saturday, and then again to the carnival Saturday. So they’ll get their fill and I’ll be filled way beyond my desire to do this stuff. I like fair food, but that’s about it.
So what’s your favorite fair food? Funnel cakes? Corn dogs? Cotton candy? Onion rings? Candy apples? Turkey legs? Deep fried chocolate covered bacon?
On a slightly different topic…. I’m really jonesin’ for Chinese food.

You have some really good insights into marriage. Anyone who was unsure about it would be in good hands talking to you. Although anyone who is truly unsure may just want to wait no matter what.
ReplyDeletehaha! You sound like me and things like fairs...the things we do for our kids :-)
My favorite fair food is probably corn dogs...as they say in Something About Mary, there is just not enough meat on sticks.
Marriage is a scary thing to me these days. Good advice.
ReplyDeleteI love fairs! We are going to one next week and a couple of concerts. I can't wait. I love the smell of a fair and as for eats... onion rings!
Ugh - carnival food makes my stomach growl. I love funnel cakes and shoestring frenchfries. We have a county fair coming up in a few weeks, I can't wait to go there and pig out!
ReplyDeleteYou should treat yourself to some Chinese food today!
I would never recommend OR discourage marriage. And it would depend on whether or not children were going to be part of the plan, anyway. Even though I'm divorced, I don't regret the two decades I was married. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a second marriage for myself, although I'm not actually looking for that and don't feel it's necessary.
ReplyDelete