
I considered getting a fake tree. Something I've never ever done before. Every time I came across one that looked ok, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Real trees are a pain in the rear, but I'd still rather deal with the pain rather than have a plastic tree. Besides, it's tradition.
Then there's everything else, besides the tree. I could do with just a tree for a year or two but eventually I want to begin my own decoration collection. I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to do and didn't want to spend the money on something I wasn't sure I wanted. Nativity scenes are pretty high on the list, but I'd rather find something special, rather than the mass manufactured stuff at Walmart. Fort Collins is nearby and has some really fantastic art stores I'd rather browse. There's a Ten Thousand Villages store that has some really cool ones.
This one is from a Peruvian trading company, Allpa.So I feel kind of bad for my girls. Because they have to move, their mom isn't going to put anything up, even though she has all the decorations we've accumulated over the years. The girlies and I are going to spend Christmas weekend with my parents, but they'll have been moved into their new house for a whole 5 days. My mom says they'll have a tree, but it will probably not be the same wonderful decorations she usually has.
When I was a kid, Christmas was the best time of year for me. The way my mom decorated, the tree, all the family gathering, the food, and of course the presents, was wonderful. Maybe I remember it being a lot nicer than it really was, but so what? I want that for my kids and I really don't feel I've been able to give it to them. I think a large part of that is the way my stbx did presents. She was always apologizing to the kids for not being able to give them more. That's not the point. So I'm glad I don't have to deal with that this year.
Right now I'm thinking if I can get a tree set up by Thursday evening, and get my ornaments by then, I'll have the girls help me decorate it. They gotta have something.
Did you know the US Capitol Christmas Tree is coming out of Wyoming this year? Wyoming schoolchildren made 5,000 ornaments to decorate it. I never saw it, but it took a tour through Wyoming on it's way to DC. (This is not the same tree as the National Christmas Tree.)
So how are your decorations coming?
When I was a kid, Christmas was the best time of year for me. The way my mom decorated, the tree, all the family gathering, the food, and of course the presents, was wonderful. Maybe I remember it being a lot nicer than it really was, but so what? I want that for my kids and I really don't feel I've been able to give it to them. I think a large part of that is the way my stbx did presents. She was always apologizing to the kids for not being able to give them more. That's not the point. So I'm glad I don't have to deal with that this year.
Right now I'm thinking if I can get a tree set up by Thursday evening, and get my ornaments by then, I'll have the girls help me decorate it. They gotta have something.
Did you know the US Capitol Christmas Tree is coming out of Wyoming this year? Wyoming schoolchildren made 5,000 ornaments to decorate it. I never saw it, but it took a tour through Wyoming on it's way to DC. (This is not the same tree as the National Christmas Tree.)
So how are your decorations coming?
If you have fun with Christmas and exude joy, your girls will have a great holiday. Maybe this year, just get some inexpensive, sparkly ornaments to hang and place around. Do your girls like to do little projects? Would they enjoy making a few simple things with construction paper, glue, and glitter at your kitchen table? Or maybe popcorn strings or something? You'd get decorations and a special memory too!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Laura - it's all about the fun you have doing it.
ReplyDelete(I love Ten Thousand Villages stores.)
Heck... Christmas was made to be this thing bigger than it should when I was younger...
ReplyDeleteMy husband is a scrooge compared to how I grew up with Christmas. we've met somewhere in the middle... and it's still my kids' favorite holiday even though my husband has never put up lights on the outside of our house and we decorate a bit.. but not much.
Your girls will remember who they spend it with and how it is made special that way... or that's what I think.
You'll have many more to make up for it. Don't beat yourself up too bad.
ReplyDeletelaura - I need to try more of that. Previous attempts have shown me to be more than inept at crafts. My mom tried some last Sunday, but the glue wasn't cooperating.
ReplyDeletesecret agent - They have some fun stuff there.
Shelle - I think this will be a year of deciding what I want to do for Christmas traditions in my new home. We'll get 'er done next year.
Chopper - That's true. But I want it now!! lol
I went through this same thing after my divorce. My advice: go buy a ton of colorful cheap sparkly ball ornaments. Nothing fancy, but definitely bright. I still have my "divorce" ornaments, and they fit right in with the newer ornaments I've collected over the years. Make your own new traditions. Enjoy the season
ReplyDeletedadshouse - Not a bad idea. Thanks!
ReplyDelete