Monday, January 24, 2011

A weekly dose of musical culture - Trance

Ready for your next new music experience?

Trance.

Trance is an electronic form of music. When it first became popular, it was generally created with a combination of drum machines, synthesizers, and mixers. You wouldn't see that at a show, as it's DJ'd with turntables and all that but any more it's computer generated or at least computer controlled.

There is a huge representation of trance DJ's in North America, but the Netherlands probably has the highest concentration of famous DJ's, at least in names I recognize, like Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Afrojack, and Headhunterz, to name a few.

Trance is a large genre, containing a lot of sub-types, with hard trance and acid trance on one end and ambient trance on the other. There is a lot of cross-over between other genres, like pop, indie, and rock. Some people might not associate vocals with trance but that's not really the case. There is a lot of trance that does not have vocals, but there is a lot with vocals too.

In my experience, trance is very open ended. Wikipedia says it's "generally characterized by a tempo of between 120 and 145 bpm" which may be it's only cohesive characteristic.

Hard Trance is probably what most people think of when they hear of trance. Fast, with a lot of drums, and no vocals. Not my favorite, but something I'd listen to when I want to drive fast.



On the other end of the spectrum is one of my favorites called "In and Out of Love" by Armin Van Buuren. A lot more like pop music. Something I think a lot of you will enjoy too. I really like it when professional DJ's have female singers do the vocal work. Sexy.



Trance DJ's do a lot of remixing too. Pick your favorite song and there is probably a remixed version somewhere.

If you like this, check youtube for artists like Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, ATB, or Paul Oakenfold (he's got a fun one called Ready Steady Go, featured in The Bourne Identity. Weird video.)

Enjoy. Hope you learned something new today.


If you'd like a certain type of music featured, just let me know. If I don't know what it is, I'm sure I'll have fun researching it!


disclaimer - I am in no way shape or form an expert on trance. Or any type of music for that matter. I just listen to it some times. Feel free to correct me if necessary.

6 comments:

  1. Trance---called that because in roughly 15 minutes I'm in a trace from hearing the same beat over and over....or I'm brainwashed and long for strobe lights and glow rope....

    btw...she's smoking hot! Just felt the need to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a form of music that I'm used to hearing. Interesting. I'm not sure what I feel about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CP - So that's where the seizures come from!

    Ananda - meh, it's just music. You can feel apathetic.

    Tera - Your welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just compared the embedded video of In and Out of Love with the youtube one and the embedded one has horrible vocals. Sounds much better on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son writes a variant of this sort of music - techno. He even had one accepted by a on-line gaming company for one of their games.

    ReplyDelete